Baby Dedication Sunday
October 22, 2017
10:00am – 11:15am
Location: 3025 Crosscreek Drive, Austin, Texas 78757Category: Worship for all
North Village Church will hold baby dedications during the Sunday worship service on October 22, 2017 at Pillow Elementary School. Worship service begins at 10am in the school's cafeteria.
Proverbs 22:6, “Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Why should I participate in a baby dedication?
Dedicating a child acknowledges God’s sovereignty not only over the child but also over mom and dad.
- When parents are presenting their child before God and His people they are asking for grace and wisdom in carrying out their responsibility.
- The best passage for the reason behind this ceremony is Deuteronomy 6:4-7:
“Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
- First, it commands parents to love God. Our love for God happens through faith in Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection. It is only through faith in Jesus’ work on that cross we can enter into a loving relationship with God. As a parent, have you experienced an intimate relationship with God through faith in Jesus’ work on the cross?
- Second, it teaches us to model this relationship to our children as an example. It isn’t an example of perfection, but an example of a growing relationship with Jesus marked by repentance, confession, and trust. As a parent, are you practicing moments of repentance and confession with your spouse so that you are leading one another to trust in Jesus’ work on the cross?
- Third, it gives the responsibility of spiritual formation first and foremost to the parent. As a church, we want to support the parents and point children to Jesus, but our influence on their spiritual formation is minimal compared to a parent. Key: Scripture gives the primary responsibility of shaping a child’s view of God to the Father (Ephesians 5:22-24, 1 Peter 3:7, Ephesians 5:1, Ephesians 6:4). It doesn’t mean the mother doesn’t play a vital role, but the responsibility falls to the father.
What will take place at the ceremony?
- You will need to show up at 9:55am on the day of the ceremony so we can walk you through where to stand and the overall all flow.
- The father will stand immediately to the pastor’s right with the mother next to the father along with any other children.
- The father will hold the child during the prayer as a symbol of the husband being the spiritual leader of the family.
- The pastor will recognize any other children if applicable.
- Grandparents and other family members are encouraged to attend as a reminder of Proverbs 17:6, “Grandparents are the crown of old men, and the glory of sons is their fathers.
- Keep in mind children are unpredictable. Some may sleep during the dedication, some might cry, however, the focus of our time is a reminder of the divine role you have been given as parents; in your flaws and in your joys.
Email email@example.com to sign-up.